The Exiles is a Martial Arts organisation based in the UK, with classes in Europe and the US. We teach a workable and full martial curriculum to students based on the works of Fiore dei Liberi, a teacher of combat in the late 14th and early 15th Century.
We aim to learn all of the skills involved in combat and defence in the period, in the following disciplines:
These skills are taught both in and out of armour and with focus on both the practical skills and the physiological effects of fighting and combat.
The martial system Fiore laid down is extremely effective and very no-nonsense in approach and the Exiles learn the Art with this mentality in practice, focusing on the realistic application of the Art. The system and techniques we practice from Fiore's work have been researched not only by members of our group for nearly 30 years but also by members of many other groups and societies, with whom we often work to further our common goal of studying European Martial Arts. Although it is a relatively recent development, this community of like-minded groups is growing rapidly, encompassing members from all areas of combat study and mainstream martial arts from across the world.
Exiles Instructors have direct martial lineage from the founders of our group with each successive generation of Instructors building on the knowledge and understanding of our interpretation, training methodologies and general approach. Instructors across our organisation work to the same curriculum, methodologies and to exactly the same high standard.
Regardless of location, our members enjoy the same training experience and the opportunity to access a wealth of resources, online classes and training related material. There is also the opportunity to attend plenty of Exiles events, away-weekends and seminars both internally as members and externally with other groups and partners.
The Exiles Mission Statement:
An umbrella of Martial Arts groups united and abiding by a common set of principles and guidelines for the study and modern re-creation of the works of Master Fiore dei Liberi
Our Guiding Principles
- To study and teach only the works of Fiore dei Liberi as the primary source, except for where external or secondary (either modern or historical) sources are relevant to support the primary source
- To have in place and continually develop a single interpretation and curriculum which is followed by all Exiles for the physical and mental development of members in the Martial Arts
- To provide structured, safe, realistic and consistent training for membership
- To focus on the application of Fiore’s works as they were intended, while acknowledging modern constraints and to research the context and history of the period to better understand that application
- To operate either as a collective entity or individual classes, depending upon whatever is dictated by the situation, with the foremost consideration being the Exiles membership
- To collaborate, share and seek peer review from likeminded Fiore and HEMA groups
If you are interested in finding out more about this field of martial arts or becoming a member, why not contact us by clicking here.